Home Page

Information Page

History of Schools

 Interview with Mrs. Knapp

 The End of One Room Schools in Hilltown

How did one room schoolhouses come to be in Hilltown?

Under the guidelines of the state laws of 1849 / 1850 a citizen would donate 1/4 acre of land to be used for 50 or 99 years as a school. The advantage of donating the land was to have one's children educated (there was no tax advantage as the local farmers did not pay taxes as we know them today). A school would be used until it was uninhabitable. When a school was in disrepair, another school might be built right next to an old one if the farmer/ citizen donated another parcel of land. This occurred with the Gehman School; it had previously been Wert's School (1836-1874) and Yellow School (1873-1887).

This information provided by Jack Fox, Hilltown Historical Society