The student will predict, construct, and explain the path of simple electrical circuits.
(PA Science & Technology Standards: 3.4.4B)
The student will conduct an experiment using the scientific inquiry process.
(PA Science & Technology Standard: 3.1.4.B, 3.2.4C)
Observing, Predicting, Communicating, Formulating Hypotheses, Experimenting
Materials: (For each group of 4-6 students)
Prediction Worksheets 1 & 2
Make a Circuit Activity Sheet
1. Define the qualities and characteristics of a basic circuit. Ask the students to predict whether or not the bulb will light for each of the examples on Prediction Sheet 1.
2. Assign a "Materials Manager" for each cooperative group to gather supplies.
3. Direct all groups of students to construct each basic circuit pictured on Prediction Sheet 1 to check their predictions and record their results on their own Prediction Sheet 1.
4. Ask all groups of students to work cooperatively to make predictions for each of the examples pictured on Prediction Sheet 2. Remind the students to refer to the results of their tests on Prediction Sheet 1 to help guide their predictions on Prediction Sheet 2.
5. Direct all groups of students to construct and test each circuit pictured on Prediction Sheet 2. The circuits pictured on this sheet are more difficult than the basic circuits pictured on Prediction Sheet 1. As appropriate, this activity can be used for the more advanced students or as an extension activity or learning center.
Have the students draw the appropriate wires needed to create each basis circuit on the Make a Circuit activity sheet. The students may also be asked to construct one or more of the examples pictured on the Make a Circuit activity sheet as a guided self-assessment.
Related Pennsylvania Resources
|Return to HOW THINGS WORK IN SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA REFERENCE & TEACHER PAGES||Return to HOW THINGS WORK IN SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA HOME PAGE|